Thursday, September 12, 2013

Backstreet's Back, ALRIGHT?! - Backstreet Boys In A World Like This

So pretty much anyone who knows me knows my obsession with the Backstreet Boys. Seriously, they may or may not be the greatest thing to happen to this world. I listened to them as a kid but I'm probably much more into them now that I'm an adult haha.

Anyway, at the end of July they released a new album marking their 20th anniversary and the first time being all together again (with Kevin!) in seven years. I've been looking forward to hearing this album since I first found out they were working on it which was well over a year ago. So, I really felt like I needed to write an official review on this new record due to the fact of how impressed I am with it.

I also thought it'd be appropriate to touch on the fact that I had the absolute pleasure of being able to see them live on their In a World Like This tour last Friday! My craziness of being a superfan brought me to fly two states away to Irvine, California (since they came nowhere closer to the Pacific Northwest!) in order to check this off my bucket list.

This was my first time seeing them live and when I found out they were going on tour, I knew I had to go, no matter how far. Long story short, it was an amazing time and the boys put on one hell of a show. They are truly talented performers and I was so glad I got to go see them. There is a reason they are the best selling boy band of all time!

The show was opened by DJ Pauly D and Jesse McCartney, the latter of which I was thrilled to see; I'm a huge fan of his as well. However, considering that I have a strong disliking towards anything Jersey Shore related, DJ Pauly D wasn't exactly my favorite part of the show.

I wish I could post some pictures in this post of the show but unfortunately the lighting on the stage was so much I wasn't able to get any decent shots :( I did, however, post a few as well as some video clips on my Instagram, which you can check out here.

Now, onto the In A World Like This album!

Like I mentioned before, I was in fact impressed by this record. The reason I say this is because their last album to be released, This is Us, wasn't exactly their greatest work and didn't match up to their legendary reputation. Upon first hearing This Is Us, I was a little disappointed, but still enjoyed and purchased a few songs. As I listened to it more, a couple more songs started to grow on me. Overall though, I just knew they could do, and have done, better.

When it comes to In A World Like This, I have already purchased the entire album and fallen in love with every single song. What I like about this album is that it really goes back to showcasing their talent as a group and as songwriters as opposed to just trying to fit in with the times, like This Is Us. These new songs are just as catchy as ever and have already been stuck in my head for a while (especially since seeing them live!).

I didn't hesitate one bit when listening to this album and knew right away they had done a great job. One thing I learned from them at the concert is that they did this album without a record label and was produced entirely on their own. When explaining this, they mentioned one of the great things about doing this was that I allowed them to be more creative. When I heard that I thought back to their last album and had a revelation. I'm just going to go out on a limb here and assume that they may have felt the same way about This Is Us and that is why they decided to do this one independently.

This Is Us was so over-produced and utilized so much autotune that it took away from their true talent; they can really sing, so why use autotune?! I'm just glad that they did it their own way with In A World Like This and that is why it turned out so good. There is a perfect blend of traditional Backstreet soulful ballads and upbeat dance songs. Although it's hard to chose, my personal favorite would have to be Madeleine.

If you haven't yet, you should definitely go and take a listen to their new stuff because you wont regret it! Now I'm just waiting for their next U.S tour so I can see them again (this time with better seats!).

Connect with me:
Twitter: www.twitter.com/missbre13
Instagram: 00bree

No comments:

Post a Comment